1.22.2012

Here goes nothin' ...














Well, where do I start? I started one of these as a school project in college 3 years ago but never went anywhere with it. I really wish I would have kept up with it, looking back! So many things have happened in that time, it would be nice to look back at now. I suppose I will start this blog by going in reverse for a while, but I am going to try to focus on my travels. Let's see...a little about me. I am a 24 year old military wife and wouldn't trade my husband or our insane lifestyle for anything in the world. Times get tough, but we get tougher. I met my husband in high school and we got together on a seriously level the year after graduation. Shortly after joining the military, he was stationed in Okinawa, Japan and I was lucky enough to visit for two weeks a year or so later. What an experience that was! I did not realize what a toll jet-lag could take on your body. I flew out of New Jersey straight through to Tokyo. Fourteen hours later, I had a three hour lay-over, then an additional three and a half hour flight to Naha, Okinawa.
After a few days of nausea I was ready to explore this small but incredible island! First stop - Hedo Point, the northern most point on the island in Kunigami Village. After an hours drive up a winding road, we arrived. What a view! The most blue water and green foliage you have ever seen! It's a small area with monuments which were placed there after the US occupation helped return Okinawa to the Japanese. One of the best parts about not only Hedo Point, but the entire island, is that Okinawa is such a remote destination, you won't have to fight tourists everywhere you turn! Many times my husband (fiancee at the time) and I were the only people at each location.
In between days we had time consuming outings, we spent time at a beach close to where we were staying in the village of Onna Point. Everytime we went here we were the only people in sight, aside from one day when a couple, dressed beautifully, came out of a wooded area and had their picture taken. After they were done, we walked toward where they had come from and noticed there was a church right there on the beach! They had just been married! What a gorgeous location for a wedding. I was so happy to have seen them.
Next, we went to a temple/cave which is now a sake distillery called Kin-Kannonji. It is super small but a genuine Okinawan experience. We had a Okinawan tour guide with a British accent! Quite funny if you ask me. After a short tour of the cave, she informed us her brother was the chef at the restaurant across the street. We decided to eat there and I am sorry to say I have no idea what we ate as the whole menu was in Japanese, but it was delicious! (Side note - we also ate a sushi bar called Yoshi Hachi's - phenominal and a great atmosphere!)
We also took a short trip to American Village which is really nothing more than an elaborate set of malls filled with locals and haru-juku girls! It was crazy seeing girls dressed so elaborately. I couldn't help but think of how time consuming it must be! We window-shopped for a while and headed home to grab some dinner.
Now, for probably my two favorite days of my entire trip. We intended on staying one night at a resort in Okuma, but wound up staying for two. We left early one morning for the hour and a half or so drive. To our surprise there was a solar eclipse this day! While it was nice to say we witnessed this, it left the whole day overcast and dreary. We still laid on the beach and messed around on some jet-skis though! So, when we woke up the next day, we decided to stay another night. We spent the day in the sun, collecting seashells, and had a great lobster dinner! While on the subject, let me say, this island is a shell collectors dream! Once I got back to the US I sprayed clear coat onto all my shells to preserve their color and beauty. They are now proudly on display in my home!
With my trip ending, I already couldn't stop thinking about all the beautiful sites we saw and all of the memories made. Anyone would be lucky to vacation on this island!

No comments:

Post a Comment