1.23.2012

North and South Carolina

As I have stated in my "About Me" I am currently living in North Carolina, USA. About two years before moving here, I visited my husband in this area while he was here for some schooling before heading back to Okinawa. What a crazy change of pace this state is compare to living in New Jersey for almost 22 years! I grew up in a small beach town about an hour away from New York City, so you can imagine the fast-paced life I am accustomed to. Everyone in North Carolina (or so it seems) is so laid back and friendly. In New Jersey, the majority of people keep to themselves and just get to where they need to go as fast as they can! No chit-chat! In the south, it isn't so. In New Jersey, the beaches are crowded with tourists. North Carolina, not so much.
I didn't make it to the beautiful beaches of North Carolina until I had moved here and my husband was given a tour of the gigantic base, which has its own beach! Aside from the beach on base, we live near some of the southern most Outer Banks, which aren't as populated or "touristy" as other beaches in the northern Outer Banks. (ex- Ocracoke, Cape Hatteras etc.) Unfortunately, my husband deployed the May after we moved here so I was left to explore this area without him, but with my Father who came to stay with me. (Thanks Daddy!) The main beach towns we really fell in love with were Emerald Isle and Pine Knoll Shores. All of the beaches have beautiful white, light tan sands and clear/green waters. Emerald Isle is one of my favorites because it reminds me of the beach at home with all of the surf shops, seafood restaurants and piers. Pine Knolls Shores is a great little area for family vacations because its not so tourist populated and home to a sweet little aquarium that I have been to probably five times already! I just love walking around and admiring all of the sea-life, watching the sea otters play and the sharks who seem like they are on and endless hunt! They offer demonstrations as well as many discounted days.
I had spent 22 summers in New Jersey and had never seen a single dolphin or anything really remarkable other than a random sand dollar or seahorse. My first summer living in North Carolina I had some incredible encounters with wild life. On two occasions, I had stingrays swim right by me! I must admit I was terrified as I have heard about many people stepping on them and injuring their feet. (POINTER - When in the ocean, do not lift your feet, do the 'stingray shuffle' and glide your feet along the floor, that should scare away anything harmful!) Also, while swimming and laying out on several occasions on different beaches, not far off the shore pods of dolphins could be seen swimming! That for me, was a heart stopping moment!
We live about two hours north of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. We visited the area once on my first visit down here, where my husband actually proposed to me outside of Key West Grille on Broadway at the Beach while watching fireworks! ;) I know, I know, I'm a lucky girl. Then we visited again before his deployment where we stayed at The Palms by Hilton. The hotel is pricey, at least for a couple in their ealry twenties, but its beautiful. It was early May so the weather was random! One day it was 90 degrees (F) and the next it barely hit 70! Regardless of the weather, we still got out of the hotel! Myrtle Beach offers a lot for all ages. They have clubs/bars(Senor Frog's, Planet Hollywood) Golf and a boardwalk called Broadway at the Beach. This area is full of restaurants, shops of all kinds and specialty stores. We did a lot of shopping! The boardwalk is situated on water which is home to tons, and I mean TONS of koi fish, turtles and ducks! So relaxing to watch and feed them! While here, we visited Ripley's Believe It or Not aquarium and I have to be honest, I was not impressed at all. It's very small and pricey. It's good for younger children but not us big kids! They do have one walk through section where you basically walk through the tank. Thank was impressive, but not much else!
Well, that's about all I can think of for now, next stop is Cancun 2007 and Akumal, Mexico 2004! I told ya I was going in reverse for a bit! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment